Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rowlett student captures American pride

Little can be more refreshing than the excited words of a child.

A teacher’s assistant from Rowlett’s magnet school recently shared such a note with our photographer, Tiffany Tompkins-Condie. Tiffany had captured the photograph posted below for the Herald's election coverage, and the featured little girl wrote about her experience for her third-grade class.

Her letter is filled with energy and pride -– the perfect thing to share with you on this blustery morning.

Sent: Tue 11/18/2008 10:13 AM
To: Tompkins, Tiffany - Bradenton
Subject: Re: Early voting photo

Thought you might like to see what Mackenzie wrote.

Early Voting
by Mackenzie Grace, 3rd grade

On the Friday before the election, I went to go vote early with my Mom. We drove to the place, and we saw a big line there already. Luckily I had brought my "Friendship according to Humphrey" book with me. (I am a bookworm.) It was hot outside, so they had water bottles a little ways up the line.

When it was our turn (FINALLY!) to go in I was relieved of air conditioning. Cool! I had never seen a ballot before! When we were done voting we gave the ballot to a man who put the ballot in a machine that slurped it up. Then he gave us both an "I VOTED" sticker. I walked out of there proud that I had seen voting when I was only 8! I can't wait until I can do it myself. And I was in the newspaper for it!
Gretchen Rath
Technology Teacher Assistant
Rowlie's Nest Director

Rowlett Magnet Elementary School
www.rowlettschool.com

Thanks, Mackenzie and Gretchen. You have my vote.

Joan

No comments: